21 June 2007

Welcome to the Chi, Motherfucker

This is gonna be a sawed-off shotgun point of view, but dammit i need these thoughts reified for posterity:

1. When i was running last week through humboldt park, i watched as emt's tried to resuscitate a dead body in the park. talk about urban running. and i thought dodging cta buses was bad enough.

2. Erika and i gonna train to run for the PAWS race for life at the end of september. it's only 8k, but the thought of being in a race is so absurd that it makes me laugh. i do feel so much better though when i run every week. and i live across from park that was made for running--some would say fleeing.

3. I think i've become totally hooked on CSI. i blame it on erika and her forensic mind. and i'm not talking about dramatic interp either.

4. I broke down last week and bought some clinique toner, officially making me the biggest fucking metrosexster west of the mississippi. and i almos feel bad about it. except that i don't.

5. Bought some purtty pants from the salvation army yesterday that fit me beautifully. with 2 bucks, i've got a new ass.

6. Erika and i have been driving through the loop alot. along the way, i was happy to see my fave library again:

And i luv the chiscape:


Of course, i couldn't have done this without my beautiful sidekick:

7. So i wasn't exaggerating when i said that my neighborhood turned into puerto rico parade. this is what the otherwise calm street in front of my apartment looked like:



8. Last saturday, my brother and i participated in bloom's day at the red lion pub in the lp. now, lincoln park isn't one of my fave neighborhoods, but i told jeff--the director-- that i'd read for his celebration so of course i went after gawking at puertorriqueña hoochies from the cta bus window (along with all of the other passengers). but here's where it got strange:
right as jeff was introducing the prefatory chapter of ulysses, the one i was supposed to read, i was about to stand up and walk over to the mic when this overweight dude with a PONYTAIL started reading. so i had to tell jeff, so um, jeff, you told me i was going to be reading the first chapter of ulysses, well, THAT DUDE just read it and i didn't bring the other chapter you gave me cuz you told me i WASN'T GOING TO READ THAT. so jeff gives me the other chapter later on that i haven't read through even once, and then i have to give the penulimate reading from a chapter of ulysses i'm not prepared for at all, a chapter that begins, "prepatory to anything else Mr Bloom brushed off the greater bulk of the shavings and handed Stephen the hat. . ." as i told tom miller in a recent email, this was a seminal moment in my life: any man who can stand up in front of 50 people and basically read a chapter from james joyce's ulysses COLD without sounding like a complete and absolute imbecile, is, in my opinion, a fucking mensch. i feel like i should get a gold plaque or something.

9. Today, after going for a nice long run together, erika and i nibbled on the fruit salad i made yesterday, then we ate guacamole, and nuts, and she tried to poison me with one of her lady fingers, which is the most ghetto cookie ever invented. eventually we made it to nochi where we spent some time in andersonville, one of my fave barrios in the chi. we went to kopi cafe:



And after watching erika talk to her family on her cell--one of my fave pastimes:

I started taking gratuitous snapshots of her because i could:

This is her, finally protesting after my 70th picture--okay, i'm totally exaggerating:

I know it looks like she's clawing herself, but really, i was flashing her to death.

10. Today LB and i had our first argument/disagreement about:

Talking about ex's
Sex and expectations
Wanting a communicative boyfriend v knowing how to be a communicative girlfriend
Empirical solutions to current problems
The semantic differences between the words ass, asshole and dick(head)
And possibly the most embarrassing disagreement, where i got rocked:

Tv in our future possible family: yes or no? i took the hardcore liberal (aka ludic) point of view and i got my nuts slammed in the cardoor. metaphorically speaking.

Ah yes, i love that girl, even if my ego doesn't, especially because my ego doesn't.

No comments: