05 May 2008

Day 1 of this Fucking Fast

Well, I'm about to start my second day of my 5-day fast, and I have to say: I'm fucking famished. Of course I knew I would be, but I've read a small mountain of anecdotal evidence that says you stop having major hunger pains by day three. God, I hope they're right cuz I've started having mild food hallucinations about stuff I don't even eat anymore, like English Muffins, Swiss Cheese and Italian Dressing--god I used to love that dish. Anyway, even though I feel slightly light-headed and ready to consume an entire Brooklyn-style pizza--I'm a near-vegan--instead I'm going to drink some more water, meditate, and go to bed. The good news is, when you don't eat, you're a lot more tired. Some would say calm. But I'm not making any promises.

Things I've discovered so far:

1. I definitely use food as a reward system for pretty much everything, from walking Zoe, and running, to sleeping 8 hours.
2. Since I'm not eating, I've become aware of all the moments where I'd normally eat and it's astonishing how often this is
3. I feel like its impossible to not be psychologically addicted to food on some level, and I'm not convinced there's even somethign wrong with that
4. My body isn't nearly as freaked out as my mind is
5. Five days to abstain from food, even though it's going to feel like shit, isn't really that great of a sacrifice, but I think I will learn tons about myself and my body
6. Time goes much more slowly when you fast, which makes me think there is a direct link between consumption and time

No comments: