01 July 2008

15 Days Until La Gran Mudanza

Yesterday Erika and I drove to the University of Chicago and walked around campus for awhile. Erika got accepted there as an undergrad and I got accepted into this lame-ass M.A. in humanities program there but strangely enough neither of us decided to go there. Great school and all but there's something strange and conflicted about the campus that never felt right to me. Something about the layout, the way busy streets run through it like an electric cable and there's no central identity architecturally speaking. Even Yale and Notre Dame felt more right to me than U of C did in part because I knew where to find the heart of each campus, and in part because acting intellectual was basically dépassé. Also, both of those campuses were self-contained, protected by the invasion of the outside world (both good and bad), a place of exploration and wonder, but certainly not devoutly stressful.

Afterwards we did something we've always wanted to do, we ate brunch at the Chicago Diner. My vegan biscuits and gravy were delicious but I could have done without the faux sausage. It tasted like a spicy veggie burger which isn't real breakfasty. I also think that biscuits should always be drenched in gravy no matter whether it's made of mushrooms or sausage. That's the law of gravy drenching, everyone knows that. Then we drove to Lincoln Park, bought some high-tech lotion at Kiehl's and walked to the Zoo and watched the gorillas in the Ape House. If only I knew sign language . . .

8 comments:

Mandy said...

I would suggest purchasing any high end pharmacy products like Kiehls before you come, as these are more expensive in B.A.

Frank.Sugar&Spice said...

Hey there is one more thing you will not miss while in Argentina, Kiehl´s. They have a store in Palermo Viejo.

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

Gotcha Mandy. I'm taking your advice. I get the impression that most luxury items are most expensive in the rest of the world in part because only North Americans consider these items, well, non-luxuries. Last month I was checking out the Apple Argentina website and I realized that the iPod shuffles that cost 60-80 bucks here cost 120-200 dollars in Buenos Aires, which is so strange when you think about it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up M.!

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

No way! Frankie, you just made my day. My g/f and I are kinda fanatical about Kiehl's and it's so rad to hear that they have a store in Buenos Aires. At least that's one deprivation we don't have to deal with.

Katie said...

Hi Jackson. I just found your blog, and I enjoyed reading past posts. I can completely identify with both your fears and your dreams about moving to Buenos Aires. I, too, am planning a move to Argentina, but I'm about a year behind you.

The way I look at it, you can never have enough friends or connections. ;) I'll be adding you to my blogroll. I hope you'll take a look at my fledging blog too, and if you like what you see it'd be great to be included on your roll!

Mandy said...

I miss SmartSausage. In the U.S., we make savory biscuits and gravy with ready made biscuits, cooked SmartSausage, and plain soy milk with a little flour to thicken the gravy.

mmmm....

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

Jesus Mandy you're making me salivate! I just ate some veggie ribs today at Taste of Chicago and it was the most delicious thing. I feel you about smart sausage, it's great stuff, though a bit salty. Du courage!

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

Hi katie. I promise I'll check out your blog and add it to my blogroll in the next couple of days. I'm exhausted and I have to sleep now and have breakfast with my dad at some godly hour while nursing the wounds of a fresh new tattoo that's pretty enough to bring tears to my eyes. Okay maybe I exaggerate. We'll be in touch soon.