14 August 2008

Some Differences the EE-UU and Argentina #2 :: Algunas Differencias Entre Argentina y EE-UU #2

(Parte Dos :: Part Two)

11. Los mozos no me dan miradas sucias por pedir sólo té commún al café :: Waiters don't give me dirty look when I just order tea at the café

12. Aún las ancianas llevan los pantalones ajustados :: Even old women wear tight pants

13. Acá hay un aprecio para la ropa negra, y además, la ausencia notable de bromas sobre los funerales :: There's an appreciation for black clothes here, and a noticeable absence of funeral jokes

14. Se besan a los colegas, incluso los masculinos :: You kiss your colleagues, even the male ones

15. Acá un traje = muy sexy. En los EE-UU, un traje = empresario :: Here, a nice suit = sexy. In the US, suit = business type

16. Todo es una negociación: comprar un teléfono celular, manejarse en el negocio para comprar fichas rayadas, pedir medialunas al café :: Everything is a negociation: buying a cell phone, managing to buy note cards in a store after describing them in 3 different ways, ordering croissants at the cafe

17. Casi todo el mundo tiene una pistola de perforación, no sólo la gente gótica y punk :: Almost everyone has a piercing, not just goths and punks

18. Los chinos que viven en Argentina tienen malos accentos en castellano también :: The Chinese living in Argentina have bad accents when they speak Spanish too

19. Aquí, el multiculturalismo se aplica más al respeto a las nacionalidades que a los raíces :: Here, multiculturalism is used more in terms of nationalities than race

20. El beísbol es aburrido para los argentinos también :: baseball is boring for Argentines too

21. La mayoría de los argentinos que conocí hasta este momento, no saben bailar el tango, pero saben todo sobre las partes individuales de la vaca :: Most Argentines that I've met up until now don't know how to tango but they can tell you about every individual part of a cow

22. Nadie come ensaladas crudas acá. Están hervidas, o ignoradas. Siempre :: No one eats raw salads here. They're boiled or ignored. Always

23. Todavía, no he visto a ni solo argentino que come una fruta :: I have yet to see a single Argentine eat a piece of fruit

24. Desde la llegada a Buenos Aires, ví a seis gordos en la ciudad entera :: Since our arrival in Buenos Aires, I've seen 6 fat people in the whole city

25. Los pasajeros salen de sus asientos para los padres con nenes en el subte :: Passengers get up from their seats for parents with children on the subway

26. Tomar merienda es un poco parecido a la hora feliz, salvo que supone dulces y té en vez de tragos, y nadie habla de su trabajo :: Taking a merienda is a little like happy hour except that it's comprised of sweets and tea instead of cocktails, and no one talks about work

27. Llevan bufandas en BsAs tal como los franceses :: They wear scarfs here in BsAs just like the Frenchies do

28. Bueno, no es un commentario sino una anécdota: hoy, después de expliquarle al mozo que quisiera comer una empanada sin carne, me recomendó una autra con queso y jamón :: Okay, this is not a point but rather, an anecdote: today, after explaining to the water that I wanted to eat an empanada without meat, he recommended another empanada with cheese and ham instead

29. No hay sonrisas falsas : No fake smiles

30. Los comerciantes son obsesionados por lavar la vereda :: Shop owners are obssessed about washing the sidewalk

31. Parece que BsAs sea la única ciudad en la que la gente espere desarrollar el cancer de pulmón a causa de los colectivos, y el hecho que casi todo el mundo fuma acá :: It seems like BsAs is the only city where people should expect to get lung cancer on account of the buses, and the fact that almost everyone smokes here

32. Fortunadamente, los malos manejan motocicletas así que es facil reconocerlos en las calles :: Fortunately, the bad guys drive motorcycles here so it's easy to recognized them in the streets

33. Ser en contra de la política de GW Bush no necesariamente significa que alguien es progressista acá :: Being against George Bush doesn't necessarily mean that you're liberal here.

9 comments:

Robert Evans said...

Being against George Bush doesn't necessarily mean that you're liberal in the US either. Many of us libertarians don't like Bush.

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

RE,

Absolutely right. But, that IS how Bush's cabinet depicted his critics, as angry, negative, unpatriotic, extreme liberals out of touch with rust-belt culture.

Tina said...

That was a lot of fun to read!

Though plenty of Argentines eat fruits and veggies, at least who I know (of course, not nearly as much as me)...

My ex's family always has fresh fruit after a meal, and my Argentine roommate always includes vegetables in his cooking.

Of course, I'm talking about home cooking - when it comes to restaurants I have yet to see any locals order anything with vegetables. I remember seeing butter listed on a menu as a vegetable once. ;-)

Ha.

Tina said...

oh oh! one more thing - pardon the correction here, I guarantee you it comes from a place of love - and I'm a picky Virgo :-)

A cortado is a drink (coffee "cut" with milk). The occasion you are talking about where you might *drink* a cortado (or tea) with some sweets, is actually called "Merienda"

:-)

That's all

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

Thanks Tina.

I really appreciate you telling me. I'd never heard of a merienda, but I'm glad to learn this term, because I feel it describes one of the greatest ways to spend a few hours and I wish the whole world would follow suit. Up next: bringing back the siesta! This is one way where the Limeños got it right I think.

Tina said...

I agree on the siesta! In Italy, in smaller cities/towns, they still have the afternoon "pausa" (which would be a siesta) and I loved it. I'd go home for lunch, eat, take a nap, read a book, and then head out the door again.

I'm a big merienda fan. I love it I love it.

Anonymous said...

We have both escaped the Great Satan, hurrah! It sounds like you are settling in nicely; that is good to hear (or read about).

xo

nica

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

Agreed Nica. So when can I come and visit you in Amsterdam?

Anonymous said...

well, you can't come visit me in Amsterdam because I am about 3 hours south of Amsterdam, in Maastricht...where you are welcome to visit me...we are moving into the house today, and there is a lot of urban magic in this somewhat small (by my standards) city. And if fates deposit you in Amsterdam in transit or something, well, I live by the train station now, so I could hop a train and come hang out with you amidst canals and such.

Nica