08 October 2008

Voting at the US Embassy in Argentina

Today I cast my absentee ballot (for Obama/Biden of course) at the US Embassy almost a full month ahead of the General Election. It was really important for me to vote in this upcoming election. The US is in a major economic crisis, the Iraq War is a total mess, Palin scares me with her folksy ignorance, I think McCain has become a curmudgeon warmonger as of late (but also someone I used to admire very much before he ran for the presidency), and I want a smart, pragmatic president with fresh ideas who will work with our allies, use intelligent and tough diplomacy to attempt to resolve international conflict before shelling out nuclear codes to commanders. There are a lot of other things that I like about Obama, a few things that I love, and this is the first time since President Clinton that I'm passionate about a candidate. To be honest, this is the first time I'm voting for someone instead of voting against something.

But that's where I'll leave my politics.

A few things I noticed once looking around at Americans at the US Embassy voting party today:

1. I guess it's really not a cliché. Americans really do wear flip-flops and shorts all across the world, even inside a diplomatic office

2. There were hand sanitizers inside each makeshift voting booth. Typical American bacillophobia

3. American culture, if defined culturally by the food served and the music played, consisted of breakfast burritos, starbucks coffee and coke, patriotic cake, pumpkin muffins, brownies and swing music

I talked to the Ambassador briefly today, and he asked me what I thought about the presidential debate #2 last night. I told him I thought the format sucked and that I didn't see the point of both candidates agreeing to rules they ended up either ignoring or flat out defying. He agreed. I really wanted to ask him who he'd voted for, but decided not to. I know Bush appointed him as ambassador of Argentina, but I got the impression that he wasn't totally in love with McCain either. But maybe that was wishful thinking.

I told the ambassador that I think it's so important for Americans to participate in the voting process both generally, and in this instance, specifically because there's too much at stake and because it's our goddamn responsibility too. I have to say, it made me proud to see so many Americans coming out to be part of this historic election at such a critical time in our lives. They might not be the best dressed people, but dammit, these yanks did the right thing and rocked the fucking vote. And I respect them for that.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Rock the Vote! :-)

Hey it was great to see you guys today - sorry my goodbye was so quick - it dawned on me how many things I had to take care of before starting to work - ack!

It was great to see so many people there - I had no idea there were this many of us.

JACKSON BLISS @ 水と魂 said...

Good seeing you Tina. Yes, there are always more of us than you think. You can travel halfway across the world, but you can't shed America.