19 February 2009

Madres de Plaza de Mayo :: The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo

Though LB and I have been living in Buenos Aires for almost 8 months, we had never seen the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo before. For those of you that don't know much about La Guerra Súcia (otherwise known as the Dirty War), the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo Association was formed during the last military government because tens of thousands of people, especially intellectuals, dissidents, leftists, were all kidnapped, torturted and killed by Argentina's last dictatorship. Public congregation at that time was strictly forbidden. It was against the law for more than three people to meet in public. But the Mothers started protesting together anyway, donning their now iconic white handkerchiefs (a symbol of their sons' diapers) at Plaza de Mayo each and every Thursday as organized "resistencia" to the kidnapping of their sons, and so many others as well, who had simply disappeared without a trace between 1976-1983 during the period known as the Proceso de Reorganización Nacional . Since 2006, the Mothers have ceased their "resistance" march but continue to show up each Thursday for other--mostly progressive--issues. Love them or hate them, and their division into two separate factions, you have to respect the tenacity of these women who keep fighting for what they believe in. My liberal friends in America who like to protest, watch and learn:

Anyway, here are photos, starting with our delicious lunch of veggie tempura + omaee at the Japanese Cultural Center of Argentina.


And Here are Shots from Thursday's Protest:








4 comments:

Devin said...

I do not know where I fit politically Jackson-hehe in America I think I would be called a 'commie' for most of my views! My hat and heart goes out to these splendid women! best as always to you and LB-thanks for the pics too-I hope the veggie tempura was wonderful:-)

JACKSON BLISS 水と魂 said...

Word Devin. The Veggie tempura was plentiful and hella yum, the best way to watch history in the making. I hope you're well. Peace, Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Jackson, I know you are new to Argentina, but while you are there, try to get the full story of what happened in Argentina during the '70s.

The militars did not have the right to torture, kill and make people disappear. Granted. But the context of what happened was a country that was mired in terrorism. The current administration and most of the media, totally forget what was going on at the time the militars took over. If you listen to their account of what happened, you can't help by ask "so why did the militars come into power?".

I was little but still remember: terrorists were planting bombs and killing innocent civilians.

If you raise the issue like I am doing, people get defensive and call you a fascist (you may call me such). Again, this is not black and white. The current denial of true facts will mean that, eventually, militars will come back to power and do the same things over again.

Enjoy your trip.

JACKSON BLISS 水と魂 said...

Dear Anonymous,

I completely agree with you. I don't think, however, that I'm downplaying what went on during that time. I wrote that:

"The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo Association was formed during the last military government because tens of thousands of people, especially intellectuals, dissidents, leftists, were all kidnapped, torturted and killed by Argentina's last dictatorship"

I didn't know about the the bombings and other forms of terrorism--thanks for teaching me about that--but I don't think I was sugarcoating things at all.

Also, I don't think you're being a facha at all. I think your point is a good one, and I think people should know a little of the history of that moment in time, that's why I decided to give a small historical blurb of the Dirty War. I will say though, that my blog is not wikipedia and I expect people to do their own research about Argentina history and not rely on my tiny little paragraph.

Thanks for your comments, by the way.