25 November 2009

Short Story Accepted in ZYZZYVA

It's official! I finally got my first short story accepted by a west coast literary journal! I got my contract in the mail today from Howard Junker + just found out that my short story, "Sixty-Seven Dollars for My Favorite Dictator," about a crazy + wonderful Peruvian family in Chicago, is going to be published in the Spring issue of ZYZZYVA . The beautiful thing is, I just sent HJ that story last week. But in all fairness, I'd workshopped it in Aimee Bender's class + then revised it several times. But still, how rad is that?

I've been submitting stories to ZYZZYVA since I first heard of it in Portland, Oregon in late 2002 where the journal has quite a following, and for good reason. It's one of the best journals in the West Coast + probably one of the top 15-20 literary journals in the whole country. I'm pretty sure the first thing I submitted was a very drafty version of "City of Sand" years before it was ready for print + was sad when HJ didn't write any feedback on my rejection letter. The rumor used to be that Howard Junker commented on every story, which the rejection note even commented on. Later on, I'd cheat and send ZYZZYVA stories every Christmas I was with my mom in Solana Beach for a month (since the journal only accepts writing by West Coast writers). Anyway, seven years later, now that I'm living in LA + working on my PhD + working with amazing writers + building my weight up, so to speak, I finally got a story accepted, sent in good faith, of all things. Ah, perseverance + karma: that cosmic cocktail. Anyway, be on the lookout for my story, coming achew in the Spring. Holla!

8 comments:

Denis said...

Congratulations Jackson :)

JACKSON BLISS at 水と魂 said...

Thanks Denis. You'll have to check it out once it's in print. There's a rad bookstore in Venice that sells ZYZZYVA fyi. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Peace, Blessings,

--j2b

Alis said...

Hi Jackson! congrats!! this is my first post in english so i hope doing well..Here in Bs As is raining all the weekend.. i do a break to write you,I study for administration the next tuesday I have a test..
a few months ago, in my outlook a have a RSS feeds for you blog so i have the possibility to read you more fast! :D.
i enjoy every post, u are a great writter-
Bueno intente! Me cuesta mucho mi profesora me dice que me anime a escribir trato de leer the new york time, tu blog o alguna novela en ingles algo que me gusta...

Te felicito de corazón y espero que 2010 te traigas muchas alegrias más!!
un besote

JACKSON BLISS at 水と魂 said...

Alis, bravo! Es un gran intente. Practicá inglés tan frecuentemente como puedes. Es la única manera de conseguirlo!

Para vos: good luck with your test! I hope you kick some serious ass. By the way: you can say: faster or more quickly, but not more fast! English rules suck!

Gracias por tus complementos. Sos tan amable y te prometo que voy a trabajar duro con mis ficciones para que yo lo merecza siempre.

Beso grandote!

--j2b

Alis said...

Gcs Jack!! :D sabia que alguna me habia mandado !
Muchas reglas tienennnnnnnn!!!! :D

un beso grande.

JACKSON BLISS at 水と魂 said...

Alis,


;) cierto.

stilllifeinbuenosaires said...

Congrats!!!

JACKSON BLISS at 水と魂 said...

SLIBA,

Gracias, che. Where are you these days? Still in Santiago? Illinois? What are your future plans? Are you staying in South America? Moving to a new place? I want an update!

Beso.