It was one of those days where everything was slightly off, everything just a little askew, as if someone had tweaked the rules of the universe enough to make normal things feel strange + strange things normal:
1. Even though it's November in LA, it was still 88 fucking degrees. When I lamented about this to my students, they replied: are you kidding? This is why I came to SC. Then I said: that's also why so many women in California get plastic surgery + needles stuck between their eyebrows
2. As I walk speedwalking to the LA Metro, I saw a homeless dude on the corner, surrounded by a semi-circle of salad mix, a whole entrée laid out right there on the sidewalk for noone
3. Inside the subway, this scruffy passenger started screaming at the top of his lungs about the person living inside his head. I kept thinking: tell me about it, brother
4. All day, I've had a weird post-nasal-drip-but-I'm-not-sick-but-my-throat-is-not-normal thing going on
5. I had to take a 2 hour nap from 4:30 to 6:30 cuz I've just been feeling run down + it seems like every student on campus is battling pollution-born allergies
6. This kid on campus asked me if I'd voted--it's a sore subject, as I explained to my friend Elizabeth because when we moved to K-Town, we had to re-register, which is like the stupidest fucking federal requirement in the whole world, meaning I couldn't vote--and I lied under pressure + said I was going to vote (as in the next year). Then he handed me a bunch of vote yes to legalize pot stickers. I turned to Elizabeth:
--What am I going to do with all of these stickers?
7. Maybe the sweetest thing that happened all day, one of my students invited me to her sorority faculty award dinner thing in two weeks. I'm not sure if I'll go, but I'm flattered nonetheless. I wonder: will they have vegan pizza?
8. Because the day was bizarre from the very beginning, I sent a tweet to Common + said I'd just written a new song with strings + breakbeats + that the song needed lyrics. Because today is so odd, maybe he'll even write back + say, let's do this. But then again, maybe not
9. I've been walking around the apartment in my underwear ever since my nap, which seems like the sanest thing I've done all day long